Currently I have the honor of being a member of the inaugural Steering Committee for The Sojourner Truth School for Social Change Leadership. This is a local, social justice initiative focused on providing free movement-building workshops to the community. Members of the project include Rev. Dr. Andrea Ayvazian (founder), Jo Comerford, Dr. Beverly Daniel Tatum, and many others. Find out more on our website. We have also been featured in YES! Magazine here, and by Bill Moyers here.
Also through The Truth School, I teach a workshop called “Poetry as Resistance.” The most recent one was June 24th, 2017. Stay tuned for announcements about upcoming courses. This is the description from the catalog: What, exactly, is the work of words? How does poetry differ from other instances of language in the political sphere? How can poetry be used to disentangle us from systems of oppression? How can it move us closer to equality and liberation? In this interactive workshop, we will have a guided conversation about these and other related ideas. Participants will then have an opportunity to apply these ideas by either writing their own piece or by reading materials brought by the trainer, before coming back together to discuss what we created/discovered. No prior experience is necessary. All are welcome to this safe, inclusive space.
Additionally, I am currently Associate Editor of Naugatuck River Review, a journal of narrative poetry that sings.
Additional CV/Past Projects
Visual Art (small sample, full CV on request):
- Numerous Instagram photos featured by business pages, including one by @Instagram. Full list available by clicking here.
- Group Retrospective Show (2016) – Cup & Top Cafe, Florence, MA
- Cover Art (2014) – Silkworm Journal
- Solo Exhibition (Feb/March 2009) – Cup & Top Cafe, Florence, MA
- Arts Instructor (2007) – Metamora, IL Girlscouts
- Voted Class Artist (2003) – STRHS Southwick, MA
- Scholarship Youth Art Lessons (1994-2000) – Southwick, MA
Poetry (small sample, full CV on request):
- Words & Pictures Exhibit Collaboration with Richard Cowles Photography (September 2016) – Western New England University Gallery
- Words & Pictures Gallery Talk (September 8th, 2016)
- MC of Writers’ Night Out Open Mic (2014-2016) – Straw Dog Writers’ Guild
- The Prayer of Liminality: Identities in Conversation (April, 2015) – Collaboration with visual artist Neal Parks at A.P.E. Gallery.
- Sixteen poems published in four journals (2009-2016)
- Two chapbooks published under a now-retired pen name (2013)
- Editor of three journals under same retired pen name (2011-2015)
- Feature set (2009) – The Tea Pot Gallery, Westfield, MA
- Teen Poetry Instructor (2009) – Sunrise Academy, Washington DC
- First Prize Winner in River Valley Co-op Grand Opening Contest (2008) -Northampton, MA
- Week-long teen poetry workshop instructor (2007) – Silver Bay Association, Lake George, NY
- Feature set (2007) – Jester’s Cafe, Westfield, MA
- Selected for private student workshop with Henri Cole (2007) – Smith College
- Feature set (2003) – Jester’s Cafe, Westfield, MA
Theatre/Writing (selections, full CV on request)
- Recipient of 5-College WORD! James Baldwin Student Playwright Award (2008) – Northampton, MA
- Smith College Book Award (2003)
- Feature Writer: The Springfield Republican Newspaper Teen Section (1999-2000) – Springfield, MA
Other (selections, full CV on request)
- Dancer for Improv Opening Reception of “This is Our Body” (2010) – Silver Spring, MD
- Rotary Youth Leadership Award Conference – selected to attend international youth conference (2003) – Whitewater, WI
- Silver Bay Leaders’ Club Honor Bowl Award (2003) – Lake George, NY
- Diversity Club Award (2003) – Southwick, MA
I see all of the above as examples of my “artivism:” arts plus activism. In each instance of expression, I weave through an anti-oppressive and intersectional lens on the work. For more specific information about my prior Social Justice and Community Organizing, including rallies and causes I have been a part of, please contact me directly. Thank you!